Where is Villa Orleans?
Villa Orleans is located on the Caribbean island of Puerto Rico. The beach is at the front of the Villa with great views of the water from the house. The town is called Rincon and is $6 cab ride from the villa and just minutes each way.
What is the nearest airport?
You will fly into San Juan (SJU) or Aguadilla (BQN)
What do we do if we land in San Juan?
If you fly into San Juan you will have to arrange for transportation to Rincon which is about a two and a half hour car ride away from San Juan.
What do we do if we land in Aguadilla?
Flights into Aguadilla only arrive late in the night. Our retreat begins on Saturday April 18th. You may want to schedule your flight to depart on Friday April 17th arriving in the early hours of Saturday April 18th. If you do fly in on the early morning hour flight you will need to book an inexpensive hotel as check in at the villa is after 12 on 4/18. If you are opting for this option there will likely be other people arriving at the same time. If you wish to be paired up with someone for a taxi or hotel share please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
How do we get from the airport to the resort?
You will need to arrange for transportation, but please reach out to me as other people will probably be booking transport and we can set up several people on the same transport in order to make it less expensive.
Do I need a Passport?
No - that's the beauty of flying to Puerto Rico - it belongs to the USA. Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory. You don't need a passport.
What kind of electricity is in Puerto Rico?
If you bring anything electrical, Puerto Rico runs on 110 Volts, 60Hz (same as the U.S. and Canada) and the outlets are the same as in the U.S. If you want to bring 200V equipment, a converter is needed.
What is the weather like?
The month of April has an average daily temperature of 86 degrees f. The months of February, March, and April are typically the driest months in the Puerto Rican calendar. In fact, this is when you will most likely encounter drought conditions.
What should I pack?
Below are most things we recommend:
◦ Yoga Mat (these are provided by the resort, but you may prefer to have your own)
◦ Yogi Toes and wash-cloth
◦ Bug repellent
◦ Headlamp or flashlight
◦ A pen on the flight to fill out the forms to and from your destination
◦ Earplugs (if you have trouble sleeping with the sounds of the waves and coquis)
◦ Flip flops or sandals
◦ Tennis shoes (for hiking, horseback riding or running, etc.)
◦ Water bottle & wash-cloth
◦ Your own snorkel equipment
◦ Small backpack for day trips
◦ Bathing suit(s) and cover ups
◦ Comfortable light weight clothes (shorts, skorts, skirts, light dresses and tank tops)
◦ For some excursions or for the evening you may need long pants, long sleeves or close toed shoes
◦ Journal/notebook and pen
◦ Handy wipes or hand sanitizer
◦ Camera, Computer, Phone, Pads and chargers (Wifi is free)
◦ Yoga/Workout clothes
◦ Dry bag (because of the humidity your bathing suits may not be dry before departing)
◦ Umbrella or light rain jacket (for the occasional afternoon showers)
◦ A good book or Kindle, magazines, word puzzle, card games (or two or three)
◦ For immigration: please do not bring nuts, seeds or fruit into Puerto Rico
Cash for personal use, like any additional meals or snacks that you might get in Rincon.
Is it okay to sign up by myself?
Absolutely! You can reserve your own room, or we can assign you a roommate if you would like to share a room as long as we have other guests (females will share with females and males with males) also requesting a roommate. You will be able to enjoy as much private time or social time as you like! However, please be aware if there is not another person to share the room with, your are responsible to pay the single rate, we anticipate selling out the retreat so this is not a high possibility.
Is it okay to sign up with my spouse/partner/friend?
Definitely! This retreat is a great opportunity to reconnect with a spouse/partner/friend away from your busy schedules. You also get a built-in roommate this way!
What type of yoga classes will be offered?
A variety of classes will be offered throughout the week. Vinyasa classes, Hatha Yoga classes, Meditation, Yin Yoga and Breathing practices. We will offer a yoga class at 8am in the morning for an hour and a half another yoga class at 5:30pm for an hour in the evening. (class times may have to be changed due to water activities that are scheduled around the tides).
I am new to yoga. Will the classes be too challenging for me?
The best thing about yoga is it can be modified for all levels. You can come and never have taken a yoga class before! This is a great opportunity to begin and learn. The classes will be challenging in a good way. Petra & Lurie are both trained to teach beginners. If you are an experienced yogi, both can offer you advanced variations and assist you with more challenging postures.
How much yoga will we practice? Do I have to attend every class?
We will have two classes each day for 90 and 60 minutes. You can attend any of the classes you wish, but you can also skip any classes you want. Maybe you need a break or even decide to take a full day off to explore Rincon town or enjoy a boat, surf or fishing trip… This is your retreat and we want you to feel comfortable enough to do as you please.
IMPORTANT DETAILS FOR THIS TRIP
(1) Breakfast & Lunch and Dinner is included in your retreat package. Your first included meal will be dinner on 4/18 but a light lunch can be arranged for those arriving at lunch time. On Sunday you can explore the Farmer's & Craft Market in town, and on Thursday there is an Art Fair where you can get locally made hand crafts from Rincon. The night life in town is pretty amazing with many venues offering live music on Thursday.
(2) If you choose to arrive on Saturday early morning, you will have to arrange to stay at a hotel until check in time after 12 p.m. on Saturday. You can contact us to make arrangements and see where other travelers are staying.
(3) A $500 deposit is due by March 15th to hold your space and payment in full is due by April 1st.
(4) Roundtrip prices for direct flights are around $350 from the New York/New Jersey area.